I was having a chat with someone in one of my favourite Facebook groups last night. It won’t surprise anyone to hear that the group in question is a bunch of ladies who are obsessed with making beautiful and delicious cakes. Someone posted up a request for a decent eggless sponge recipe – something actually worth eating. The lovely Sandra posted up this recipe, as the first eggless recipe she’d actually found to be edible.
Of course, the next step was someone wondering whether it was possible to do a dairy free version of the recipe, and we all got to thinking of alternative for the condensed milk, which seems to have a dual role of binder and sweetener in this recipe. My first thought was using coconut cream, as I had a 250ml carton sitting on a kitchen shelf needing a cake to call home, and volunteered myself for the experiment.
What I’d not initially considered, of course, is that the original recipe also calls for butter, which may be part of what makes the original taste nice. Still, I had some Trex in the fridge as a substitute, and decided that, so long as I tasted the mix and adjusted the flavouring before getting it into the oven to bake, I probably couldn’t go too far wrong.
While the recipe in question could be used as well for a large cake as for cupcakes, I decided to use cupcakes for proof of concept: if it turns out as nice for cupcakes as I think it will, I’ll definitely be using it in future as a sort of vegan Madeira.
Here’s how it went:
Preheat the oven to 180C. Harvey helped out, as he’s finished school for the summer, so between us we added 310g of Dove’s Farm plain gluten free flour, 1.5tsp baking powder, 1tsp bicarbonate of soda, and 0.75tsp xanthan gum to a large bowl. I got Harvey to stir this gently to mix it all evenly, and then we added 250ml of coconut cream, which we mixed in thoroughly before adding 225g of melted Trex and 235ml of orange juice, plus 2tsp vanilla essence.
So far, so good. However, since the original recipe calls for close on 400ml of fluid in the form of the condensed milk, we weren’t surprised to see that it was going to take more fluid to get us where we needed, and that, like it or not, the mixture we had in the bowl wasn’t really sweet enough to call itself a ‘proper’ cake. So, testing all the way, we ended up adding 100g of golden syrup in total, plus another 120ml of orange juice. And by the time we’d done that, we had something that looked and tasted like a decent cake batter.
Some 35 minutes of baking later – which is a lot for a cupcake, even in a muffin case, and I finally called a halt to things. There was no doubt that the cakes were cooked, but the texture, just from doing the spring test with a finger, made me suspect we had a problem on our hands, even before we got them out of the tin. Yes, the cakes sprung back, but there was an obvious underlying squidginess that had me thinking of steamed puddings.
Actually, steamed pudding is not a bad way to think of the final result we achieved. There was a lot of melted fat in the base of my muffin trays once the cakes were removed from the tins and the texture of the first one we
demolished tested was very much more of a pudding than a cake.
And so, in one sense, we have a failure. We didn’t end up with a cake. However, for all that we didn’t get a cake out of the deal, the underlying flavour was good, and could only be improved by reducing the amount of Trex. I think, were we to lower the amount of Trex and swap sugar for the golden syrup, we’d have a much better result. So that’s an experiment for later in the week and next time, I’m pretty sure, we’ll have a winner on our hands :-)